Saturday, September 20, 2014

Birchbox Modern Mermaid Summer Special Box

So I finally decided to pull the trigger and order my first subscription box.  Well not a regular subscription box but a special summer edition one.  I saw a video on the Modern Mermaid summer 2014 Birtchbox and decided to give it a go.  I was going to be home for the summer and thought this summer beach theme would be great for my summer of relaxing.  So I ordered it along with a lot of other goodies, freebies, and treats to open when I got back home.



So when I arrived I was jet lagged and ready to sleep....except I had so many goodies awaiting me.
I immediately opened this one first.  I have to say I was pretty happy with this box.  What's inside:

A trio of Ruffian nailpolishes in summer metallics.  I like the small size for nail polishes that I did not seek out myself.  I have so many polishes that I used twice and then are hanging out for years in my polish basket.  I found these polishes to be pretty thick and smooth going on.  I am not sure if they will last until next year.  I do not think a third time using would have been possible in the champagne color.  Oh well.  Maybe the full sizes will last longer.

Next is the mermaid Mane Sea Salt Spray.  I can not believe how much I enjoy this.  Still using it in September on the weekends.  I may need to purchase more or at least dive into more of these sea sprays.  It is supposed to give beachy waves to hair.  Well it did keep my air dried hair from going stringy and limp.  Calling that a win!

The next product is the Lash Genius waterproof topcoat mascara coating.  I have a difficult time finding waterproof mascara so I was looking forward to it.  Problem is I can not remember to use it so not sure how helpful it is in the heat and humidity.

Kajal Vasanti's Extreme Electric navy Eyeliner is pretty.  The liner goes on super easy and smooth.  Something I am not great at getting right the first, second, or tenth time.  Unfortunately it is not totally waterproof/smudgeproof  for the deep south so unless I need it for halloween scary dead eyes I will not be able to use it again in the summer.

Liplux Coola lip balm in SPF 30.  Really happy with this lip balm.  It has a nice and high SPF which is great for summer and winter skiing.  Even though it is a higher SPF, it does not have a gooey opaque look to it.  It also stays on for hours without making me chew off my lips.  I will be taking this with me to Thailand for January!  This will be repurchased.  2 year shelf life

The perfume is an Atelier Cologne spray in Cedrat Eniverant.  I liked it even though it is not a scent I would gravitate to.  It is clean and citrus/woody almost to the point of a men's scent.

They throw in a mirror compact in an iridescent mermaid scales design.  I was looking forward to it but it does look like something a 7 year old would use for playing dress up.  I wish it was just a disk mirror instead of a childish snap close compact.

The box  was $44.  Shipping would have been another 5 I think, but they have free shipping over $50.  I searched around in the sale area and got a couple boxes of teas to get me to free shipping.  Also you get to choose a freebie when you purchase over $35 so I picked up a Michael Todd Cranberry Anti-aging toner.  Pretty happy about those add ons.

Not happy about getting my picture taken without makeup but my nails are looking great in the Ruffian Endless Love

It was a summer special addition but still for sale.  I think I will try another season again if I do not pick up a subscription to Birchbox.
www.birchbox.com

No comments:

Post a Comment